(This is an ever-evolving document, please see our website from time to time for the latest version)
Special Effects Media South Africa Proprietary Limited , a company registered in South Africa under registration number and having its registered address at Workshop 17, Watershed, V & A Waterfront, 17 Dock road, Cape Town, South Africa (“Special Effects”, “we”, “our”).
We are committed to complying with applicable data protection laws and set out below details regarding our approach to data protection in all our operations.
Information we collect from customers
We collect names, contact details, financial and tax information and any optional information you provide us for the purposes of onboarding you as a customer, managing your account, invoicing you and providing you with our services. We do this on the basis of the intention of contracting with you or for the performance of a contract we have with you and for the purpose of complying with legal obligations such as tax laws.
Information we collect from third parties
We collect names, contact details, financial and tax information from suppliers and professional service providers so that we can place orders/instruct you and make payment in respect of any goods or services we receive. We do this on the basis of the intention of contracting with you or for the performance of a contract we have with you and for the purpose of complying with legal obligations such as tax laws.
Information we collect from you when you visit our website
Information we collect from you when you apply for a job
We process the information you provide in your curriculum vitae, in our application form and supporting documentation/information during the recruitment process purely for the purposes of assessing your suitability for the role, for contacting you to progress your application and to take up any references you have provided. The basis for the processing of this information is a potential employment contract may be concluded, depending on the outcome of our assessment and we have a legitimate interest in finding candidates for roles that we have. In the event that you are successful, this data will form part of your employee file.
Processing and transferring personal information
Personal information held by us is processed by appropriate members of staff for the purposes for which the information was provided.
We may also share your information with our affiliates in Hungary and the United Kingdom for reporting purposes.
We share your information for the purposes of:
- Complying with a legal obligation;
- Performing the contract we have with you;
- Our legitimate interest in the effective running of our organization.
All our third party service providers and other entities within the organisation are required to take appropriate security measures to protect your personal information in line with our policies. We do not allow our third party service providers to use your personal information for their own purposes. We only permit them to process your personal information for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
We may disclose your personal information to a prospective buyer or seller in the event that we intend selling or buying any of our business or assets.
Retention of your Data
We will not retain your personal information longer than the period for which it is needed and in compliance with applicable law. We determine retention periods in respect of information we hold based on:
- Legal obligations relating to minimum periods to retain data;
- The purposes for which we process the personal information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means;
- Whether the information is required for reporting and analysis purposes relating to our operations;
- The amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal information;
- The potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of the personal information.
General Description of Information Security Measures
We employ up to date technology to ensure the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the personal information under our care. Measures include, but are not limited to:
- Virus protection software and update protocols.
- Encryption where possible.
- Electronic and physical access control.
- Secure setup of hardware and software making up the IT infrastructure.
- Outsourced service providers who process personal information on behalf of us are contracted to implement security controls.
- Policies and procedures are implemented to ensure the security of your information.
- Ongoing security awareness training of employees and contractors.
Your rights in relation to your information
Subject to certain limitations on certain rights, you have the following rights in relation to your information:
- Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Withdraw consent to our use of your information at any time where we rely on your consent to use or process that information. Please note that if you withdraw your consent, this will not affect the lawfulness of our use and processing of your information on the basis of your consent before the point in time when you withdraw your consent.
Should you have any queries regarding this privacy notice or would like to enforce any rights you may have under applicable data protection laws, please contact us at:
Address: Workshop 17, Watershed, V & A Waterfront, 17 Dock road, Cape Town
We will endeavour to respond to any such requests as soon as is reasonably practicable and in any event within statutory time-limits in the applicable country. In some instances, we may be able to charge a fee for responding to your request and will advise you of this and any applicable amount prior to responding.
You should be aware that certain information is exempt from the right of access. This may include information which identifies other individuals, or information which is subject to legal privilege.
You should also be aware that in some instances, if you do not provide information or you exercise any rights regarding the deletion or restriction of your information or object to the processing of your information or withdraw consent, we may not be able to perform the contract we have with you or comply with our legal obligations.
Where you request access to your information, we are required by law to use all reasonable measures to verify your identity before doing so. These measures are designed to protect your information and to reduce the risk of identity fraud, identity theft or general unauthorised access to your information
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the relevant supervisory authority, details of which are set out below:
P.O Box 31533, Braamfontein, Johannesburg, 2017
General enquiries email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Changes to our Privacy Notice